>>> isn't supported per se. But when [the software], or the makefiles, parse
>>> the string
>>>      3.12-1-amd64
>>> they don't get the expected result. If the uname -r were the string
>>>      3.12.9-1
>>> then parsing it would yield the expected result.
>>> ---END QUOTE FROM VENDOR---
>>>
>>> Is the reported kernel-version string, "3.12-1-amd64", something that I
>>> could change by compiling a custom kernel?
>>
>> Might a shell script that output the expected string work?
>
> Or sed?
> Or export?
> Or, um, more information about what Debian release is being used and the
> "third-party" software. :)

If the compiled program calls the uname() system call, then script-related fixes
won't work. I don't have the source to the compiled program.

I'm running Debian testing (jessie).

> Kind regards

And kind regards to you for replying so promptly to my plea for help!

What I'm wondering is whether I can get uname to return the desired
format by somehow compiling a custom kernel.

If so, then any help doing that properly would be appreciated.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan