On 21/03/2014 23:10, Mike McClain wrote:
I'm running Squeeze on a P3 board and dialup.
My modem gets hungup after 2.5 minutes about 30% - 40% of the time I
connect. Being idle, in the middle of fetching email or loading a
webpage seems to make no difference. Is there any way to log all
transactions going to the modem which is on ttyS2? Something like
script but for a serial port?

I don't know about *all* the transactions going to the modem, nor whether that (yet) has been narrowed to the cause of the problem. I've had similar problems with dial-up on another linux distro, caused by LCP negotiation/connections failures. My dial-up PPP process was not receiving the correct state of the connection, even though the connection was transmitting/receiving user data perfectly. So, a minute or two after connection, LCP (I think, though it may have been PPP that commanded it) would disconnect, due to a timeout for something expiring.

It was difficult to find, in part because I had no previous experience with LCP. I was able to turn on debug level logging on the PPP process, which helped give the first indications of why links were being taken down, and whether LCP was returning all the status conditions that are needed to avoid the timeout expiring.

If you can find a PPP conf file or, maybe, a dialup or chat conf file, perhaps even an LCP conf, and set logging to debug or verbose, then that might bring the first clues for whatever condition the link is getting into.

In my case, though I would not expect this is your problem, LCP 'required' a far-end IP address even though none was offered by the ISP; the solution was to set the conf file to always assume a certain address in the absence of receiving one. (Without receiving the far-end address, LCP never moved into a stable connected state, and a PPP timeout expired, if I recall.)

Try and find some PPP, chat, or LCP conf files, and set some logging. I'm strongly of the opinion it could be an LCP state problem, though exactly what won't be clear, yet.

regards, Ron