On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:36 AM, ken <geb...@mousecar.com> wrote:

> Steve brings up a very good point, one often overlooked in our zeal for
> getting so much FOSS for absolutely no cost.  Since we're all given the
> source code, we're all in part responsible for it and for improving it.
>  This ethic should be visited not only on lists like this one, but
> certainly also in CIS classes and definitely in business and governmental
> administration courses as well.

While I can agree in principle with this, in practice, it's not that black
and white. Let's look at a real-world example: cars. I, like most on this
list, have owned many in my life, can drive them, and even do routine
maintenance on them, e.g. brakes, oil changes, changing belts, even
changing the odd water pump, a car is a complex system. There are many
computers and moving parts that have to work (more or less) in unison for
the car to operate properly. There are trained mechanics who know how they
"tick."

Similarly, software such as openssl is a complex beast. Very few people are
going to be able to review it, let alone code for it. The two most dire
warnings in the crypto code biz are a) never implement your own crypto
system, because there are a million ways to do it, and 999,997 of them are
wrong, and b) peer review is your friend. But just as I would probably
prefer a certified mechanic to rebuild the engine in most modern cars, I
would hope that the guys writing the code have a helluva lot more expertise
than I do and are checking up behind each other. Plus, like OpenBSD, have
mechanisms in place to minimize damage when things do go awry.

> And right now there is github where over the past couple weeks I've
> noticed quite a few "projects"-- in fact, the majority of them-- started by
> one person but with no other contributors.  A significant contribution can
> be as small as improving documentation.  As Steve points out, without more
> involvement from more people, we're probably headed for repeated such
> calamities.

Well, you are free not to use those. I judge this on a case-by-case basis.
For instance, I'm not likely to be an early adopter of "Joe's super-secret
foolproof cryptosystem" with one dev and a handful of commits, but I might
just think about using, say, the pitivi video editor at an early beta.
Going back to the car analogy, I said above I would want a certified
mechanic to rebuild my engine in a modern car, but I have no problem going
my neighbor and having him change the brake pads and rotors, or even to do
that myself.