On 28/04/14 08:47 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 18:43:17 -0400
> KS <list...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> You mention in another email concern about a drive temperature of 42C.
> We'd all like our components to be 32C all the time, but that's more
> of a hope than a reality. Depending on your processor, video card, and
> ventilation, it's possible that the ambient temperature in your box
> is 42 degrees, and the box is actually heating up your drive. Right now
> I'm testing my new build of my rsync backup server with a new 3TB WD
> Green drive, running this command on my whole backup history:
>
> find /backupserver/stevebup | -exec ls -lh {} +
>
> The WD green is running at 37C, and the WD blue system disk is running
> at 40C. The CPU is 45C and the mobo temp is 36C. This is in a box with
> a top mounted 200mm fan pushing out in excess of 100 cubic feet per
> minute, along with a back mounted outbound 120mm, two inbound front
> mounted 120's, and a side mounted inbound 140. Can you imagine what
> would be happening in there if I had less fans? Modern processors are
> 100 watts: That's like putting a 100 watt incandescent lightbulb in
> there. Without adequate ventilation, it could turn into an oven and
> bake your hard drives.
>
> Hang on a second: I just stopped my test process, let's see what
> happens to the temperatures after a couple minutes...
>
> Well, it's been about 15 minutes since I killed my test program so that
> my backup server was idling. My CPU is now 42C, the WD black system disk
> is 40C, and the WD green data disk is now 36C.
>
> SteveT

Interesting setup Steve. The first email with SMART details were from a
PC which has a 120mm fan (out) on the back, CPU is top mounted (Antec
Earthwats 80mm fan) and the CPU has a stock fan (80mm). The case is
completely open though and the case fan won't do much for the HDD (too
far). As I said earlier, the machine was running SysRescueCD (in RAM),
so I wondering why the HDD was hotter than my other system (HDD at 35C)
which I use as my main PC.

On another note, I'm replacing the main system's HDD (Seagate Barracuda,
320GB) with an Intel 530series SSD soon.

Thanks for the detailed reply,
KS