On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Erwan David <er...@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 17/05/2014 19:58, Martin Vegter a écrit :
>>
>> I am wondering whether systemd will be mandatory in Jessie.
>> At the moment, I can install Jessie without systemd. Will this stay so,
>> or will this change somewhere before Jessie becomes stable?
>>
>> I have servers running Jessie. Can I continue upgrading packages on a
>> regular basis, without having to worry that one of these updates will
>> uninstall half of my system and install systemd instead (and make my
>> servers unbootable) ?
>
> I do not know, I check at upgrade time. And Is there somewhere a
> migaration doc explaining what to do to replace invoke-rc.d,
> policy-rc.d, how to get logs (because of journald), etc...

For invoke-rc.d:

There's a recent thread about it.

For policy-rc.d:

What are you doing with it?

For the logs:

All you need to do is have rsyslog installed and have
"ForwardToSyslog=yes" in "/etc/systemd/journald.conf" for rsyslog to
function as it always has - and AFAIK this is the default setup in
Debian.

I doubt that the systemd maintainers would want to start yet another
big flame war by defaulting to an rsyslog-free journald-only setup or
a journald setup that doesn't forward logs to rsyslog. Even on Fedora,
the rsyslog-free journald-only F20 release (the latest) generated a
pretty big fight.