On 5/22/2014 4:15 PM, Bob Holtzman wrote:
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 01:47:50PM +0200, Jan Ingvoldstad wrote:
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM, basti <mailingl...@unix-solution.de> wrote:
Actually I get some spam from "84.19.164.45"but this ip is not blocked
at the moment.

Forward the message including all headers to the abuse contact for the
IP address.

You can look this up using whois.

whois 84.19.164.45 =>

% Abuse contact for '84.19.164.32 - 84.19.164.63' is 'ab...@keyweb.de'

I would think that that's a good way of getting a *bunch* of people
pissed off when the entire block is blacklisted. Better to filter the ip
at your mail client.

I report all SPAM to spamcop (www.spamcop.net). It's pretty quick and painless. I also use their rbl as one of the filters in my email.

You'd be surprised how quickly most ISP respond when one of their IPs gets blacklisted. They don't want emails from all of the users on that mail server blacklisted.

There's still a problem with open proxies - but once it's blacklisted, it's pretty worthless to most spammers. But then again, I think a lot of those open proxies are compromised home machines (at least that's what they look like from the source address).

Jerry