On Sat, 24 May 2014 14:30:33 -0700
<bri...@aracnet.com> wrote:

> > Nice, I didn't know it. I likely will use it in the future.
> >

> i run openbox and one thing i would really like is an automounter for
> things like flash drives.
>
> any suggestions ?

You can mount/unmount in xfe. When you have plugged in a hotpluggable
medium, it gets and entry under /media. If you right click on it, you
have the mount/unmount option.

For real automounting, you can configure autofs, which is the Linux
variant of the Unix automount deamon.
http://www.autofs.org/

You really don't need GVFS or KIO.
For remote transparant filesystem access, without NFS or Samba: sshfs,
davfs, curlftpfs...  (all based on the fuse kernel module)

$ mkdir mnt
$ sshfs filip@deb.local:/home/filip mnt
$ df |grep mnt
filip@deb.local:/home/filip   9717280  3673648   5526976
40% /home/filip/mnt
$ ls -l mnt
total 8
drwx------ 1 filip filip 4096 May  1 17:06 Mail
drwxr-xr-x 1 filip filip 4096 May  1 17:03 s
$ fusermount -u mnt