On Tue, 27 May 2014 17:41:50 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <j...@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a common problem (I remember hitting it myself, once upon a
> time!) The Debian Exim FAQ recommends changing fetchmail's behaviour,
> rather than Exim's:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4UserFAQ#Exim_stops_delivery_after_ten_messages_are_received

This reminds me of something I've wanted for a long time.

I'd prefer not to have an MTA anywhere on my LAN. I'm not smart enough
to securely configure an MTA, even if it isn't sendmail. As things
stand, I grab incoming mail with fetchmail, which pushes the mail to
procmail, which drops it in the correct maildir directories of my local
Dovecot server. On the few occasions when I want to do a mass-mailing
(legal, to existing customers), I use nullmailer to implement the mail
and sendmail executables.

The one and only reason I have Postfix on my desktop computer is to
receive mail from addresses local to my local dovecot: Mainly root,
which emails me every time a cron job writes to stdout. I haven't yet
figured a way to get either procmail or nullmailer deliver local to my
local Dovecot. The day I figure out how to do that is the day I blow
postfix right off my box, and never have an MTA again. I'm not an
admin, and it's a bad idea for me to be in charge of an MTA.

Does anyone know how I can achieve delivery of local users without
using an MTA? I'm thinking some sort of shellscript for the mail and/or
sendmail executables that does some magic and then
calls /usr/bin/procmail -d %T.

Thanks,

SteveT