On Fri 30 May 2014 at 16:49:39 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:

> On 30/05/14 08:48, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > As to why your command prompt isn't being emitted after the task
> > is done that seems very strange to me.  Definitely not normal.  As
> > you can see from my examples it works fine for me.  Please let us
> > know what you find is the problem.
>
> I've just installed exim and heirloom-mailx on a test vm to confirm my
> suspicions.
>
> mailx does give the prompt back - but because a delivery report was
> requested, and exim sends it to the screen rather than emailing it,
> the prompt disappears in the noise (my exim config isn't correct, so
> the mail goes nowhere, but that doesn't matter for the example). The
> prompt comes back after the first 2 lines of the delivery report:

Nothing strange here. mailx completes and, as you say, the prompt is
returned. The "noise" is from exim's standard error stream. It is
instructive to do

   mailx -v rich...@walnut.gen.nz 2> eximlog

or

   mailx -v rich...@walnut.gen.nz 2>&1 | tee

A similar thing can happen with the standard error stream when a USB
stick is attached or a PCMIA wireless card removed from a running
machine.