On Sb, 07 iun 14, 09:48:44, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've lived for years using synaptic and I am no so used to aptitude - and I
> don't want to make mistakes...
>
> Possibly my installation is now in such a state that I should reinstall, but
> everything *is* working. Anyway:
>
> - searching for broken packages gives 0 packages in synatiptic but 6 packages
> in aptitude.

Please post the output of

    aptitude search '?broken'

> - marking upgradable packages causes both to want to remove lots of things
> (including parts of cups, Gimp, and of cours all my DE).
>
> - If I try to update with aptitude it gives me a liste of packages that
> should
> be "removed because they are no more used", which is nonsense because most of
> them ARE in current use.

Apt/itude's definition of 'unused' is automatically installed (i.e. as
dependencies), nothing depends on them (anymore).

> I am thinking all this comes from the fact that I installed Wheezy with
> Gnome,
> installed another DE, then removed *parts* of gnome, and the system is
> thinking because part of Gnome is missing, it should clean up and remove
> anything that needs it (the list of removal is long, but does include
> gftp and so).

Yep.

> Whats more, the system seems not logical, as it wants to remove Gimp
> but complains that gimp-data (not to be removed) needs Gimp....
>
> Any way to bring this mess in order?

If you're new with aptitude this may be easier to sort out with apt. Try
this:

    apt-get update # optional, but safe
    apt-get upgrade # safe, doesn't ever remove packages
    apt-get dist-upgrade # carefully check proposed removals

When running these apt-get will tell you that some packages are no
longer used and you should use 'autoremove' to get rid of them. Don't do
that (just yet). Instead use

    apt-mark manual <package>

to mark as manually installed any package you know you actually need.
Don't bother with libraries or -data packages, because these should be
kept as dependencies. When you're done try

    apt-get autoremove

If you're still not satisfied with the outcome mark some more packages.

Kind regards,
Andrei