Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> my fritz.box is a DSL router from AVM, which unfortunately does not give me
> access to syslog.

Oh.  I didn't realize that.  The way you talked about it I thought it
was another Debian system.

> What I noticed is that 192.168.178.87 shows up without MAC address
> in the list of network devices of the fritz.box

That is almost certainly an important clue to the problem.

> I think I will try first to get support from AVM on that topic.

Good luck!  However I am pessimistic about support from companies.  In
general they like to sell you things but unless you are a notable
customer with deep pockets they tend not to want to spend time
supporting you.  Every vendor is unique however.

In general a dhcp server will always assign the same IP address to the
same client.  Everyone knows this is based upon the client ethernet
address.  But many people do not know this is also based upon the uid
the client offers.  (It might be client hostname.  I don't remember
and have no time to research the precise thing.)  If a client offers
different uids then the dhcp server is obligated to assign a different
IP address.  The idea was that a multiple booting system would have
different uids and wouldn't share the same IP address even though it
had the same ethernet hardware address.

Is it possible that your client is somehow producing a DHCP request
but using different client parameters with the different requests and
therefore receiving different IP assignments in return?  Since you are
getting different IP assignments and it must be for some reason then I
suspect this possible case.  Assuming that the dhcp server is
standards conforming.

Do you keep getting different IP assignments every day?

> If that is not successful, I will look in more detail into the
> tcpdumps (although since I have to take that on the client side,
> that might be difficult during the startup phase).

Note that dhcpdump can still be used on your client.  It would require
some patience but it would capture the exchange.  Easier than
wireshark and specific to the domain at hand.  It would be on my list
to try to capture what the differences are when getting the different
IP assignments.

Bob