Okay, the following was old information. REALLY old information:

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM,  <pecon...@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
>> As many of you know, /dev/random is a source of random bits that are
>> suitable for use
>
> some uses
>
>> in cryptographic analysis. [...]
>> Just how often do you have to poke at the keyboard? And
>> when you do poke at it, about how many key presses do you make before
>> you get the number of bits you requested?
>
> When generating certificates with openssl, I often have to type a full

make that "had", as in about ten years or so ago.

> paragraph or two to get the number of bits I need.
> [...]

The OS was probably Redhat or Fedora, and FreeBSD. Don't recall doing
it with Debian, so my information was not even relevant to Paul's
question. (Sorry, Paul.)

Just made a dummy key and cert on wheezy, after having been booted up
for about three hours. No typing or mouse movement was necessary, just
took a second or two. I suppose I should power cycle and see what it's
like with a fresh entropy pool.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.