On 10/08/14 07:14 AM, Sven Hartge wrote:
David Baron <d_ba...@012.net.il> wrote:

On my previous 32-bit system, I would get fsck run on filesystems
every so-many mounts. Was using ext3 with some ext4 extensions. Could
take a bit on multi- hundred gig partitions but assumed a necessity to
keep things playing.
On my new 64-bit system with ext4 filesystems, I have yet to see fsck
run.
Is the periodic fsck obsolete or unnecessary on ext4 filesystems?  If
it is, in fact, needed, how might I enable it?
"man tune2fs", if you really think you need this. But the defaults of
the filesystems changed over time, better leave them the way the people
knowing about them have set them.

Grüße,
Sven.

I don't like the typical defaults. I prefer to use tune2fs -c to adjust it to use a prime number (e.g. if currently checked after 25 mounts, change it to 23 or 29). The use of prime numbers make it much less likely that all your drives will be checked at the same time, at least for desktop machines.

Since servers generally go months between reboots, fsck will generally be run on an elapsed time since last check basis so the tune2fs -c setting is rarely used. Instead you need to look at the -i setting.