On Friday, August 15, 2014 1:50:02 AM UTC+5:30, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Comments (opinion) supporting your position that SQL logging is silly.

> It is my understanding that SQL is a query language that is designed
> to query (and update) a *relational*database* that has been designed
> according to design rules for which there is a vast how-to
> literature. Usually the goal is a database about a business firm and
> its customers, suppliers, employees, and stock holders.

> For SQL logging to be useful, it seems to me, there should be a
> properly designed *relational*database* of the internal state of a
> computer and its relationship to its users, and to the resources under
> its control.

> Are there such designs? Something that a sysadmin can buy, and/or
> download, from a reliable source and install and get working with
> minimal effort? Something that he can just do without management
> thinking he is exceeding his job authority? I think not.

> Therefore I conclude that SQL logging will not be used except in very
> large, very stable organizations, and should not matter in the context
> of Debian and its future. If it does happen in Debian, it will be just
> another downloadable .deb package, not a major shift in the nature of
> the Debian community or its relations with the rest of human society.

> Who knows of an Entity-Relationship diagram for a POSIX system wherein
> the updates of data meet the 'ACID' criteria? What will happen if a
> logged transaction violates an integrity constraint that is required
> by the data model?

How about we backup one step up the etymological path?

And replace 'relational' by 'structured' [The original name was Structured
Query Language -- shortened to SQL]

Are you saying logging data is not structured?

I believe this is not a rhetorical question: it seems to me logs are
somewhat at the borderline of needing the heavy-duty structuring
associated with SQL.

ACID (like postgres) is a red-herring.  Indicated by the existence of
database systems like sqlite -- library/API based, natural mode of
running is single threaded