On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Sarunas Burdulis <
saru...@math.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> On 08/27/2014 03:36 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > I have a laptop that came with Windows 8.1, that uses "secure boot" (EFI)
> > and GPT partitions.
> >
> > Using windows tools, I shrank the main Windows partition.
> >
> > Using the Xubuntu 14.04.1 AMD-64 Desktop DVD, I created a root and a swap
> > partition in the hole I had created.  I installed Xubuntu.
> >
> > Everything worked except the GRUB install.  When do the necessary bind
> > mounts from the DVD and chroot into the laptop's hard drive, grub-install
> > says it's installing for x86_64-efi (good!) but then complains that it
> > cannot find the EFI partition.
> >
> > But gdisk reports that partition 2 on the disk has code EF00, and gparted
> > recognizes it as having a VFAT filesystem starting at sector 923648 and
> > extending for 260 MiB  It looks normal to me.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> Is the EFI partition mounted on /boot/efi?
>
> Sarunas Burdulis

Well, no, it wasn't.  So I redid it, and mounted the EFI partition before
doing the grub-install.
I verified that the partition ended up with a sub-sub directory named
ubuntu, so I figured all
should now be well.  Grub had reported no errors, and there were signs it
had been there.

On reboot, it went unconditionally to Windows 8.1.  No signs of GRUB.
It seems I'm still missing something.  I wonder what.

--
Kevin O'Gorman