Am Montag, 1. September 2014, 11:19:01 schrieb Sharon Kimble:
> Last night my backup drive died and is now totally unresponsive, but it
> did give this error message when I tried to access it -

> Error mounting /dev/sde1 at /media/boudiccas/back1: Command-line
> `mount -t "ext4" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sde1"
> "/media/boudiccas/back1"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong
> fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde1, missing codepage or
> helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog
> - try dmesg | tail or so
>
> Is there any way in which I can access the contents of the drive please?
>
> If not, is it safe to format it and re-use it please? If so, what should
> I format it as ? ext3? ext4? Or something else?
>
> It has for some months been showing this message in logwatch -

>  WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
>     EXT4-fs (sde1): error count since last ...:  1 Time(s)
>     EXT4-fs (sde1): initial error at time 13973814 ...:  1 Time(s)
>     EXT4-fs (sde1): last error at time 13973814 ...:  1 Time(s)
>
> and I did query what it meant and what I should do about it, but I was
> reassured that it was OK and nothing needed to be done. In the light of
> what's just happened, wrong!
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

Hi Sharon,

I had very good results with DEFT 7.2, which is for forensic purposes.
It is a livefile system.

I suggest, to make an image of the partitions. On DEFT, there is a very nice
tool called hbformost, which is a GUI for foremost and scalpel.

I am using nice GUYMANAGER from the kali-linux distro, then check the imager
with hbformost. So you can easily restore most pictures, documents, music files
whatever.

You might also try testdisk, which I am using from the Trinity-Rescue-Kit,
another livefile system.

To your question for reuse: I would say yes, and if you can reformat it, I
would use ext4. It is stable and fast.

For the future you might want to install smartd, which checks your harddrive
at ruinning time, and warns you, if there are defects. It is posible, to lower
the line, so that smartd is warning much earlier than normal (normal is, when
I remember correctly, abou 10 percent defections)

You can of course check the complete harddrive before further use. There are
some testing tools available, which are very hardware near. For those I am
using some windows based tools (which are on another livefile cd, called
UBCD4Win).

However, as you see, I am working with special livefile CDs which arer aimed
for very special purposes, and I know, it costs time, to gather them all. This
is just my way, other people might have better ways.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Hans