Op Tue, 09 Sep 2014 01:06:26 +0200 schreef ken <geb...@mousecar.com>:

In need of a new printer, having done a bit or research, and considering either the Canon PIXMA mg5420 or the HP Photo Smart 7520.

There are Linux drivers for the Photosmart which are supposed to handle both the printer and the scanner. But in my research I haven't found (yet) anyone who's gotten the scanner to work with Linux on the Photosmart, let alone the sheet feeder for it. Allegedly there are instructions and requirements for using the fax on Linux. But I'd like to hear from someone who has actually gotten all of this working on Linux (either debian or centos) and which version of which distro is needed.

The Canon PIXMA mg5420 doesn't have a fax or a sheet feeder for its scanner, but I'm guessing it's even dodgier to get just its single-sheet flatbed scanner and its printer working with Linux. So has anyone had success with that?

I've also read horror stories about the how often new ink cartridges are required, that basically you pay for the printer a second and third time buying cartridges (not to mention how often a print job is interrupted by a trip to buy new cartridges). Any first-hand reports on that?

Whoever thought spending money would be so tough?

Thanks for your knowledge and experience.

My two cents:

I have a Canon Pixma MG5250 All-in-one connected via my home network
and it works out of the box. The scan-to-computer-button is the only
feature I haven't test. But I can give a successfully scan command
from my computer.

USB Connect:
- CUPS also have drivers for the MG5400 series, so I suspect the
printer function will work.
- Sane reports on their site: "Pixma MG5400 - usb - Untested",
but the MG5300 and MG6100 are successfully tested, so I think the
scanner-function will work also.

Network Connect (Pixma is connected via a hub or switch):
Connon use standard network protocols, so I suspect this will work.

Ink:
I haven't count how many pages I can print, but I use the
ink-refill-shop around the corner. And many people do, so Canon
doesn't make any profit on my ink. (Or they must also make
the cheaper ink cartridges)

good luck,

floris