Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2014, 01:45:50 schrieb lee:
Martin Steigerwald <mar...@lichtvoll.de> writes:
Am Montag, 22. September 2014, 23:50:46 schrieb lee:
Martin Steigerwald <mar...@lichtvoll.de> writes:

Do you really think they will be able to prevent all the other
software from depending on a particular init system or parts of it?
Well… thats to be taken upstream, isn´t it?
Then why don't the developers or the distributions do just that?  Nobody
cares when one user or another questions whether it's a good idea to
depend on systemd, and it might be much different if a lot of developers
and/or whole distributions would, in the interest of their users,
question this dependency and refuse their support eventually until the
issues systemd and software depending on it brings about.
[…]
Fedora does already depend on systemd --- and I would say completely.
Or do you see a choice here?
And exactly *how* is this relevant to Debian?

And still I think its important to take this upstream.
Upstream, from the users point of view, are the makers of the
distribution in the first place.  I can't very well make a bug report
against systemd directly because Debian has decided to support it, can
I.  That's not a problem of systemd.

To get involved with everything seems to have been a design decision of
systemd.  What do you expect will happen when I make a bug report
directly against systemd, explaining them that it's broken by design?

Or should I make a bug report against the X server because it depends on
systemd?  Or the other way round?  Or perhaps against cups instead?

Or to *help*. Make a logind that does not depend on systemd. Offer it to
the upstreams that need it.
I'm sure it would be ignored or rejected --- even if I had the knowledge
to make anything like that and was able to keep up with what other ppl
are doing.
I do think that you don´t want change.

You expect distro developers to fix it for you. You are not willing to take
things upstream.

So let's see:
- the technical committee selects takes a vote that essentially imposes systemd on all of the upstream developers and packagers - systemd seems to have some rather frequently changing APS's - to the extent that systemd-shim lags well behind - but the resulting impacts should be taken up with each and every upstream developer?

Somehow that doesn't sound right.

Miles Fidelman