On Sat 11 Oct 2014 at 07:38:42 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 10/10/2014 at 07:53 PM, James Ensor wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM, John Hasler <jhas...@newsguy.com>
> > wrote:

> >> The entanglement discussed here earlier had to do with the design
> >> of the Systemd suite, not with dependencies.
>
> (Well, there was some discussion about the dependencies side of thing as
> well, but I think that's more an effect of the design of the systemd
> suite rather than a primary issue of its own.)
>
> > Exactly, and that has been blown way out of proportion.  You do not
> > need to have systemd installed or running to have a usable
> > Debian-testing install.
>
> Er... how do these two sentences make sense together?
>
> If I'm reading you correctly, you're claiming that the entanglement
> involved in the design of the systemd suite has been blown way out of
> proportion, and in support of that you're citing the fact that you do
> not need to have systemd installed to have a usable Debian testing system.
>
> But whether or not you have to have systemd installed to have a usable
> Debian testing system is not about the design of the systemd suite; it's
> about dependencies. So your citation seems to have nothing to do with
> the claim at hand.
>
> Is there something I'm missing that makes this make sense?

1. The design of systemd is thought to have certain consequences which
   may have an inpact on a Debian system.

2. One consequence of the design is that there are 'entanglements' when
   it comes to installing packages on Debian. 'Entanglements' are simply
   dependencies. Debian has a package system which has relied on the
   concept of dependencies for many. many years. Inventing a new term for
   a familiar process doesn't appear helpful.

3. The consequence in 2. is a major consequence of the perceived design
   limitation in systemd . It might actually be the only one of practical
   importance to users installing and managing a Debian system.

4. It is an undisputed fact that testing and unstable users can remove
   systemd absurdly easily.

5. The practical outcome of 4. and 3. is that the proposition in 1. is of
   little importance to Debian users. Most are only concerned with 'Does
   it work?'. 'It does indeed' is the answer. These users have little
   interest in perusing the design of systemd. Even if it didn't work as
   well as it does they would still have no interest.

   The design aspect is trumped by reality; hammering away at it doesn't
   increase its significance.

6. A number of users want a different init system. Are they catered for?
   Of course they are! Please see 4.

1. was discussed earlier this year. A decision was made. Reprising it in
debian-user may produce some clarification but the fundamental framework
for Jessie has been laid down.

And to illustrate how much work Debian maintainers put in to respond to
users' concerns:

  root@gnome-jessie:~# apt-get install sysvinit-core systemd-shim
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
    cgmanager libcgmanager0 libnih-dbus1 libnih1
  Suggested packages:
    pm-utils
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    systemd-sysv
    cgmanager libcgmanager0 libnih-dbus1 libnih1 systemd-shim sysvinit-core
  0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 482 kB of archives.
  After this operation, 1,030 kB of additional disk space will be used.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

What more could a Debian user want?