On 14 October 2014 17:10, Don Armstrong <d...@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, Marty wrote:
>> It seems like free software employment and market share come with
>> increasing risk to objectivity and technical quality.
>
> People have to eat. Almost everyone who works on Debian has someone who
> pays them.
>
>> It's my main concern as a Debian user, as I consider recent trends.
>
> It really shouldn't be. The biggest concern that I have is getting new
> contributors into Debian and keeping existing contributors from burning
> out. Companies paying people to work on Debian is one way of getting
> more contributors and keeping existing contributors happy.
>
>> I hope that Debian members consider an amendment to restrict voting
>> rights for members who have a financial interest in Debian or in any
>> project used by Debian, to promote and protect the public interest.
>
> Everyone who contributes to Debian has an interest in what the project
> does, whether or not its financial. There's a reason why we're
> contributing, after all.
>
> People who are in positions of power in Debian are relatively open about
> what those interests are and who their employers are. But expecting
> people not to vote or participate just because they happen to be paid to
> work on Debian isn't healthy or sustainable.
>
> That said, if despite my counter-arguments, this is something you feel
> strongly about, find a DD who agrees with you, write up a constitutional
> amendment, and get it proposed on -vote or discussed -project.
>
> It's not on topic here.
>
> --
> Don Armstrong                      http://www.donarmstrong.com
>
> I learned really early the difference between knowing the name of
> something and knowing something
>  -- Richard Feynman "What is Science" Phys. Teach. 7(6) 1969
>

> --
> Archive:
> https://lists.debian.org/20141014161017.gb4...@teltox.donarmstrong.com

In the UK we have rules about benefiting from being part of a charity
or in my case being involved in a housing cooperative. We solve the
problem by setting up 'secondary' organisations with which the first
has a contract that allows them to purchase services.

I'm just thinking that this could help small orgs who can't afford a
whole or half a salary as well. Debian Developer Services (?) could
take money from companies, issue invoices and pay developers and
publish accounts.

Just a thought
--
Keith Burnett