On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 09:54:56 +0100, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> On 05/11/2014 17:02, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>> Miles,
>>
>> Le mercredi, 5 novembre 2014, 09.32:57 Miles Fidelman a écrit :
>>> [If you're happy with systemd, and not considering a change - please
>>> stay out of this discussion.  If you object to the very nature of the
>>> discussion, hit your delete key and kill file this thread now.]
>> I object to the very nature of this discussion on debian-user: it's not
>> _at_all_ on-topic for this list. I'm not happy either with you
>> suggesting that people finding this thread off-topic should "kill file
>> this thread". This list will only stay useful for Debian users seeking
>> "community assistance and support" iff the discussions stay focused on
>> providing this community assistance and support.
> +1

I am a Debian Jessie user whose system has started acting up in mild ways
that may be related to systemd.  I have found that replacing tools that
use systemd with others that don't has soled some of these problems.

I don't know whether in the future these issues will get better or
worse.  I'm hoping for better, but I'd like to be prepared for worse.

At the moment I have removed systemd from my jessie system.  It is,
despite the absence of systemd, a Debian Jessie system.

In fact, refracta,  one of the so-called forks that avoids systemd,
actuallu uses Debian's own Jessie package repositories.  It isn't a fork,
but more a different way of using Jessie from that installed by default
by the current Jessie installer.

It is still Jessie, and as far as I can tell, a Jessie syste taht uses
systemv init is still a Jessie  system.  As a Debian Jessie *user* I find
the community support I'm getting in threads like this quite valuable.
For now, I know how to continue using Jessie.  And I know what escape
hatches I have if the situation gets much worse.

When I stay at a hotel, I often check whether the fire escape works, even
though if I were really expecting a fire I'd stay at a different hotel.

Maybe in the future I'll be using systemd again.  Maybe not.  Maybe I'll
continue using systemv init, because it does seem to be policy for that
to continue to be viable, whether default or not, and whether there are
packages taht cannot run without it.

But it is absurd to say that discussing these real problems faced by
Debian users, and their potential remedies, is off topic in the debian-
user mailing list.

There are lots of topics on this list that aren't relevant to me.  But if
they are relevant to other users I' not going to declare them off topic.

-- hendrik