On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogor...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 3:54 AM, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> [snipped.  I have xfce4 and lightdm]

> >> Have you looked at the logs? Especially Xorg.0.log and xsessions-errors.
> >
> > Xorg logs seem normal
> > I don't see any xsessions-errors file
>
> ~/.xsessions-errors

Aha!  something that may help.  A bunch of stanzas like this:

Xsession: X session started for kevin at Sat Jan 17 10:42:34 PST 2015
localuser:kevin being added to access control list
openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
Script for ibus started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
Unable to create /home/kevin/.dbus/session-bus
Script for ibus started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
x-session-manager[1414]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead.
Sorry....