Quoting Ric Moore (wayward4...@gmail.com):
> [...]
> To recommend this [upgrading] to a new user, might not be a good
> idea. I've been at it since the days of Slackware install via a pile
> of floppies. As noted previously, there will be a proper upgrade
> installer released when Jessie is officially stable. That would be
> far better.

Now this might be a slip of the pen, but what is the "proper upgrade
installer"? Is it different from apt-get dist-upgrade?

There is/will be an official installer-from-scratch soon, already
available as weekly snapshots (and now a release candidate IIRC).
I've tried this on one of my machines just to check it out. That's
a different animal.

I've upgraded all my machines to jessie or sid (one from squeeze, via
wheezy of course), except for my "server", the one that archives
everything. I find it helps to have two root partitions, one
containing the previous distribution as a fallback. It means you can
jog your memory as to how things were done before, and acts as a
backup of your old configuration.

I don't think this is at all unusual, or brave. Bear in mind that
you're going to see all the corner cases here, and nothing about the
successes, except in passing.

Cheers,
David.