On Wednesday 25 February 2015 04:13:26 Curt wrote:
> On 2015-02-25, Curt <cu...@free.fr> wrote:
> > There's also, I believe, a kde specific printer settings tool (of which
> > I don't know the name) whose defaults might be conflicting with or
> > overriding your duplex desires, although why the option would be
> > greyed-out in various pdf viewers escapes me.
>
> Maybe it's 'system-config-printer-kde'.

That, on this system, is a subdir with a bunch of .py stuff in it.

And I find it a bit interesting that despite there being a bit over half a
megabyte of python stuff in that directory, this command returns a null.

gene@coyote:/usr/share/kde4/apps/system-config-printer-kde$ grep -i duplex *

OTOH, the old install is similarly bereft of any results in that directory,
and it worked just fine.  So if I run from the system menu, "printing", I get
a slightly different interface gui, but attempts to look at the printer
profile in question reports an error '(unknown IPP tag)' has an unknown value
and cannot be edited (presumably because I have not groked a way to run it
from the menu item named "printing" with root privileges.

But when I have figured it out, I get the same error, when I attempt to commit
a change in the print quality, I am presented with the same error BUT it does
appear to get changed.

Clicking on closing the error does go ahead and display all the values as set
by the web page localhost:631.

I finally figure out how to run that as  root, and get the same IPP resolution
tag error as when I run it as me.

Synopsis so far:  If I want good color, it appears I have to use the brother
drivers, but when I do, NO system printing facility can see or use the
printers duplexing ability, the printer options page of everything that has a
print in the file menu, call up a similar function selection interface that
all ghosts out, and it will not use it regardless of the printers own menu
settings under the tray menu.

Filing a bug seems to go to a black hole, made difficult to file by the
insistence of a name of a package to file the bug against when I have no
damned clue where or why its getting lost.

Which is right back at square one.  So how the heck do I convince the bug
triage people into actually looking at this endless, nobody has more than a
tentative clue/suggestion, which I have checked out in every case where I
understood the lingo, without any resolution to the problem that wheezy has,
but which ubuntu-10.04.4 LTS never had since I bought this printer around 2
years ago.  And since we've been chasing our collective tailks for what, 10
days now, its obviously not going to get fixed until the debian bug fixers
who deal with printing actually read this thread.  bugs.debian.org is, as far
as being able to describe the error, miserably lacking because the only place
you can try is in the ending comments, which apparently aren't being read.

No reply in about 24 hours.  What sort of a time frame should I expect?

Thanks & Cheers Curt, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)