On 20150311_1304-0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20150311_0406+0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

> > > suggestion of running CHKDSK wasn't tried in the manner that I'm sure
> > > was intended because by the time I got it, I knew that it didn't boot
> > > Windows off the hard disk anymore.
> >
> > Try chkdsk off the boot CD then (assuming you have a Win boot disk.  NTFS
> > tends to do awful things to drives wherein they get weird "locks" in
> > them.  Or just use the windows disk to quick format the drive ... and
> > stop it there.
> >
> > Alternatively, see if there's a low-level format utility (from the drive
> > manufacturer) that you can run on its own.  I used to have one from
> > Western Digital that worked nicely for writing all zeroes to the drive.

I realized that I had not tried dd from VC2 just before entering the
partitioner section of weekly build (Jessie) installer. It didn't
allow successful write, so I tried Wheezy 7.7 which had failed before
the dd write. This time for 7.7, the partition write succeeded, and I
proceeded to a successfully reboot after install. But the Wheezy that
it installed was largely useless to me because I use gnome-terminal
frequently and all the virtual terminal programs had a serious flaw:
They didn't have a command prompt in the window. While looking for
some config setting to get a command prompt, I noticed that I had
actually installed 7.8, which I hadn't known existed. Maybe the
version conflict could be causing problems. So I downloaded Wheezy 7.8
CD. tried it, and it had the same flaw. But I realized that I could
use VC1 to dist-upgrade to Jessie, and sort out the picky details in
the release that I would like to use in Jessie, and beyond. The
dist-upgrade went about as well as expected in that the Wheezy install
had placed both Xfce and Gnome-desktop on the computer. The trick that
finally allowed a conflict free was to select task-mate-desktop for
installation.

That allowed the aptitude conflict resolver to let go of all the gnome
packages that were in conflict with required Xfce packages. Which is
the whole point of writing the above: Asking for Mate does a world of
good for this particular dist-upgrade path which is one that we all
hope a lot of people will be attempting soon. I really don't feel that
want to be locked into the sequence LTS -> LLTS -> RLLTS -> RRLLTS
(ReallyReallyLongLongTermSupport ;-) while Debian leaves me in its
more and more distant past.

But still a few issues. First two are below, more are likely to follow:

1) In Xfce, the "Settings->Preferred_Applications->Web_Browser" window
   offers "Mozilla_Firefox" in its pick list. This might be treatable
   as a release critical bug. When I do select it, I do actually get
   Iceweasel, so maybe the problem can be handled by a phone call by
   our lawyers to Mozilla's lawyers. ;-)

2) A problem that I really want to fix: The window in which Iceweasel
   is displayed does not have toolbar across top of the window. ( line
   containing "File Edit View History ...) There might be some
   key stoke combination the serves as a substitute, but I have trouble
   remembering such things. Where is this configured in Xfce? NOT in
   Settings->"Window_Manager" or "Settings->Window_Manager_Tweeks". I've
   looked there.

All the various virtual terminals now have command prompts in them,
but some of them lack a toolbar line, like Iceweasel. Fortunately for
me, the ones lacking toolbars are ones I have never really liked.

Best regards,

--
Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net