On 20150417_1730-0500, David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Paul E Condon (pecon...@mesanetworks.net):
> > I am coming to realize that the re-install, not upgrade, of Jessie
> > from RC2 has done something that makes it ignore my /etc/hosts file
> > and go its own way. I can't find the trick to make my desktop computer
> > use the /etc/hosts that I have loaded onto it and to respond to
> > messages from the two 'server' hosts whose demons try to query it.
>
> Yes, a re-install would change the host keys, hence the ssh warning.
>
> Has the IP number of your machine(s) changed? If so, your hosts
> file may now be out-of-date (or the router needs to be told to
> restore the old IP number).
>
> (By chance we both posted at about the same time.)
>
> Cheers,
> David.

RC2 netinst created an /etc/hosts with only two lines:

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       big.lan.gnu     big

Big and lan.gnu are names that I gave it to use for local host
and local lan. As part of my completing the config. I added the lines
that had been in /etc/hosts before doing the netinst, and are in
the /etc/hosts file on the other computers. And I remember from years
of use, carefully preserving /etc/hosts during previous netinst episodes.
At first I thought I had done something wrong because it wasn't working,
but now I'm convinced something is definitely different. I have never
before seen messages about 'no path to host' unless I had unplugged a
cable, and never before messages about refusing a connection.

The behovior is as if a new layer ot security has been introduced in order
to protect against a new kind of threat, but with no announcement or how
the user should deal with it, the threat, and it the countermeasure..

At this late date, I think this won't be resolved until after official
release.

Cheers,
--
Paul E Condon