On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:59:10 -0500,
David Z Maze wrote:

> csj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I can't build either the unstable or experimental versions of
> > Debian's xfree86 packages (4.2 and 4.3).  The build ends with the
> > following error messages:
>
> Why are you building X?  Which X?  And how?

Because that way I save a couple of MB's download:  downloading
the .diff.gz that costs 1 or 2 MB's versus the tens of MB's
download of the prebuilt binaries.  I'm building the official and
"semi-official" Debian X packages by Branden and friends.

> My general recommendation, if you need XFree86 4.3 for hardware
> support, is to download the binary .tar.gz files for the X
> server only from xfree86.org, and unpack them somewhere like
> /usr/local where the Debian package management system won't
> step on them.

I am using the Debian package system on what in a roundabout way
are *official* Debian packages.  So I don't see any problem
there.  Once they're built they should be as good as the stuff
you apt-get over the Net, no?

> If you don't want to do that, there are several backports of
> XFree86 4.3 out there to your favorite (stable-or-newer) Debian
> distribution; see http://www.apt-get.org/ for details.

The backports are more trouble than their worth in MB's.  You're
never sure what exotic or obsoleted libraries they're built
against.  My motto: if you can build it, you can at least run it
(with a few buggy exceptions).

> > #BEGIN STDERR
> > lnx_io.c: In function `KDKBDREP_ioctl_ok':
> > lnx_io.c:90: error: structure has no member named `rate'
> > lnx_io.c:98: error: structure has no member named `rate'
> > lnx_io.c:100: error: structure has no member named `rate'
> > lnx_io.c:101: error: structure has no member named `rate'
> > lnx_io.c:102: error: structure has no member named `rate'
>
> ...but if you really did want to track this down, look at the
> referenced line number, find the type of the structure that's
> being referenced, and figure out where that structure comes
> from.  If it randomly started losing on unstable in the past
> week, it's possible that the source is directly depending on a
> <linux/something.h> header, but those headers changed from a
> 2.4.mumble kernel to a 2.6.0.mumble kernel recently.

I was told that that shouldn't be the case.  After all, the
official X source packages have a build time dependency on
kernel-headers-2.4, unlike mplayer, which, not being packaged,
may be excused from being clueless about Debian's system files
layout.  This assumes that the official X package is looking for
the <linux/something.h> header supplied by kernel-headers-2.4
rather than the one supplied by llinux-kernel-headers.