On Sun, 24 May 2015 12:02:32 +0300
Reco <recovery...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi.
>
> On Sun, 24 May 2015 10:36:39 +0200
> Petter Adsen <pet...@synth.no> wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to improve NFS performance at home, and in that
> > process i ran iperf to get an overview of general network
> > performance. I have two Jessie hosts connected to a dumb switch
> > with Cat-5e. One host uses a Realtek RTL8169 PCI controller, and
> > the other has an Intel 82583V on the motherboard.
> >
> > iperf maxes out at about 725Mbps. At first I thought maybe the
> > switch could be at fault, it's a really cheap one, so I connected
> > both hosts to my router instead. Didn't change anything, and it had
> > no significant impact on the load on the router. I can't try to run
> > iperf on the router (OpenWRT), though, as it maxes out the CPU.
> >
> > Should I be getting more than 725Mbps in the real world?
>
> A quick test in my current environment shows this:
>
> [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
> [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.10 GBytes   941 Mbits/sec
>
> Two hosts, connected via Cisco 8-port unmanaged switch, Realtek 8168e
> on one host, Atheros Attansic L1 on another.
>
> On the other hand, the same test, Realtek 8139e on one side, but with
> lowly Marvell ARM SOC on the other side shows this:
>
> [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
> [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   534 MBytes   448 Mbits/sec
>
> So - you can, definitely, and yes, it depends.

That last one, would that be limited because of CPU power?

> > Could there be a driver issue, or some settings that aren't optimal?
>
> Check your iptables rules if any. Especially nat and mangle tables.

None. iptables are currently disabled on both sides.

> Try the same test but use UDP instead of TCP.

Only gives me 1.03Mbits/sec :)

> Increase TCP window size (those net.core.rmem/wmem sysctls) on both
> sides.

It is currently 85KB and 85.3KB, what should I try setting them to?

> Try increasing MTU above 1500 on both sides.

Likewise, increase to what?

> Use crossover cable if everything else fails.

If I have one. I read somewhere that newer interfaces will
auto-negotiate if you use a straight cable as a crossover, is that true?

Also, the machine with the Realtek PCI adapter has a Marvell 88E8001 on
the motherboard, but I haven't used it for years since there were once
driver problems. Those are probably fixed now, I will try that once I
can. Didn't think of it before.

> > Unfortunately,
> > these are the only two hosts I have with Gbit interfaces (except the
> > router), so I can't test with another host.
> >
> > Could this be a MB/MiB issue? The iperf man page doesn't say which
> > it reports. (Well, it says "Mbit/Mbyte", so I assume it does not
> > mean MiB)
>
> No. (1024*1024*1024 - 1000*1000*1000)/1024/1024 = 70.32.
> You can mistake by 70Mbps at most in this scenario, not by 300.

I knew it wouldn't account for 275MB, but it could be a portion of it.

Thanks for your response, though, I'm already learning things :)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"