On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 04:20:21PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> > Reco wrote:
> > > Don't depend on curl. Use good old socat combined with wget:
>
> That use of socat was clever.  I didn't like the pkill socat though.
> Wouldn't be good if there were another one running at the same time.

Yes, there's a room for an improvement. Presumably socat can write own
pid to a user-specified pidfile, but I was lazy to check a manpage.

> > Why?  The -L option in curl did the trick.  Is there some
> > over-riding reason why I should use wget instead of curl?  Curl
> > windsup being simpler and faster in this case.
>
> Some time ago Reco and I were discussing this and Reco noted that curl
> uses openssl while wget uses gnutls.  That was Reco's reason for
> prefering curl over wget at that time.
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/20150409082351.GA24040@x101h

And as the current discussion shows - those reasons are still valid.

> That is a difference that causes problems and is probably related to
> the problem you just experienced.  This doesn't play into plain http
> connections.  But for https gnutls and openssl have different
> behavior.  They shouldn't.  But they do.  Therefore the suggestion
> away from wget is really a suggestion away from gnutls and over to the
> more time proven openssl used by curl.
>
> However recently in Unstable and therefore Stretch Testing curl
> changed from openssl over to gnutls too.  Jessie is already released
> and this doesn't change Jessie or earlier releases.
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/342719
>
> So in the future if that is maintained both curl and wget will have
> the same gnutls behavior.
>
> Which might be different behavior from web
> browsers as most web browsers use openssl.

A minor nitpick here.

Iceweasel/Firefox use libnss, not openssl.
Chrome/Chromium use libnss.
Anything based on webkit-gtk actually uses gnutls.
I'm unsure about webkit-qt, though.

About the only browser that actually uses openssl I can remember is w3m.

Reco