On Sun 14 Jun 2015 at 08:03:59 -0700, bri...@aracnet.com wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 12:35:57 +0100
> Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > The server listens *on* one or more interfaces. Each interface has a
> > single network address. 192.168.1.0/24 isn't a single network address.
>
> ty, i now have access to server.
>
> i have cups-client installed on my client machine.

Then this and its dependencies is all you need on the client. Any cups
or other printing packages are useless to you if you are using a
client.conf on the client. Are you? Please post its contents if you are.

> I think this is what i need in cupsd.conf to access server to actually print.
>
> <Location />
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow 192.168.1.0/24
> </Location>

Testable, isn't it? I wouldn't alter cupsd.conf on the server from the
default.

> Interesting ...
>
> I thought that I would only need cups-client, but that appears to be
> not true.
>
> if you need the cups server to run to connect from the _client_
> machine, why isn't the cups package required by cups-client ?

cups-client on the client machine doesn't need cupsd on the same
machine because you are requiring all processing to take place on the
server.

> i have an ethernet printer, i can't for the life of me figure out how
> to tell cups what the IP address of the printer is...

CUPS will tell you:

  /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v