On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 10:52:50AM +0200, Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a workstation Dell Precision T7610 that I use for scientific
> calculations. It has two Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz with 64GB DDR3
> 1866MHz.
>
> I would like to upgrade the machine and buy 256 GB of RAM. In the case
> of a calculation that can fit in 64GB, Does too much RAM can slow down
> the computer? I suppose that it shouldn't as long as the RAM is also
> DDR3 1866MHz.

I would suggest this is a question for the kernel people. I have a vague
memory (pardon the pun) of there being some issue such that if you did
have vast amounts of RAM, some data structure grew rather large and the
kernel spent a disproprtionate amount of time servicing that. The fact
that I've seen that, though, PROBABLY means that it was mentioned as
part of a fix.

In short, make sure your kernel is reasonably new (Something 4.0 or
newer should be fine, maybe even 3.0 or newer). Oh, and from a hardware
perspective, read the manual of your motherboard for how best to load
the RAM; you will probably be instructed to load sticks of RAM in a
balanced configuration in order to fully exploit parallel access by the
memory controller.