Ingo K. <bz-mof <at> gmx.li> writes:
> Same here, I upgraded an up-to date Debian wheezy 7.8 with a grub2 1.99 on
> an old Poweredge 650 to jessie 8.1. The upgrade brought grub2 2.02beta2-22
> and big problems.
> grub2 [...] displays nothing
> except a black screen (tried different displays). Interestingly, even using
> a "Super Grub2 Disk" I got almost the same behaviour: The main menu works
> but as soon as I select any option that does more than just changing the
> menu options the system hangs. And I tried them all. I'd say that it is
> impossible to boot my system using grub2 2.02. I have the feeling that grub
> has problems with accessing my drives.
>
> Using the installed grub1 (aka grub-legacy) it works perfectly.

Want to add some things for google: Although my system has a very old
graphics card (ATI Rage XL) my problem cannot be solved by the standard
solution "add drm.edid_strict=0 and nomodeset to your kernel command line"
as the problem lies within grub2 2.02. Debian starts perfectly without any
extra options (no X or window manager installed). Grub-legacy can start it
but all grub2 2.02 hang before starting it.