On Thu, 25 Jun 2015, Roger Howard wrote:

I have a problem printing from Windows 7 to a Linux machine which has only occurred since the upgrade to Debian Jessie.

I have reported the bug to bugzilla.samba.org (as bug #11271) and there has been essentially no response so far.

This problem is now resolved. The cause was a line "disable spoolss = yes" in my smb.conf file which had been included at the suggestion of some HOWTO I had found. The idea was to stop samba loading all printers listed in /etc/printcap and just use the print share specified in the samba configuration file. In retrospect this was obviously wrong as "load printers = no" does what is required, but interestingly caused no difficulties with samba 3.6.6 on Debian squeeze. The problem showed up when I upgraded to samba 4.1.17 on Debian jessie.

In future I shall be very careful about using everything I find in dubious HOWTOs.