Erwan David wrote:
Le 28/07/2015 18:16, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
On Tuesday 28 July 2015 16:54:12 Michael Fothergill wrote:
For me, normal use of the non-free stuff is a bit like choosing to use an
umbrella ie useful but non essential that has a designer label printed on
it etc. Or not if that is your choice.
It depends.  If you want to use a particular computer, it may be essential in
the installer.  Using that computer is, of course, possibly like choosing a
designer umbrella.

Lisi

I'd rather say that finding a computer which does not need any
proprietary firmware, but is available on the market would be the
biggest problem.

For a desktop or laptop, you're probably right. For a server, maybe not as hard - and you have a lot more choice on configuration of individual components (though not so much if you go with IBM, Dell or HP data center gear). Then again, seems like Debian is moving away from a focus on servers, at least that's what I infer from the systemd wars.

Miles Fidelman