Mike Kupfer <m.kup...@acm.org> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> After last full-upgrade, Emacs starts without X support and with the `Meta'
>> key not being recognized.  How to fix that?
>
> If you're running Emacs in tty mode, then I think the Meta key support
> is done by the terminal emulator.  What terminal emulator are you using?

Yes, I'm using XTerm, and the Meta or Alt role is played by ESC.  But Meta/Alt
is enabled appending the following line:

xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

to the file /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm.

> As for Emacs not having X support, which Emacs packages do you have
> installed?  Are there any warning messages when you start Emacs from the
> command line?

With the last full-upgrade, emacs24 was replaced by emacs-nox.  Now, if I do:

 # aptitude install emacs24

, it complains that it conflicts with emacs-nox and suggests to remove it, that
I expect will solve the problem.  But, after all, using Emacs without GUI
support is all right for me.

Rodolfo