On Sun 16 Aug 2015 at 09:28:24 +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

> Now different desktop environments have different ways to achieve that. I run
> a pretty classical setup (no desktop environment at all, Fvwm as window
> manager).
>
> In my case, the scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d are arranged to load those
> user bits which are to be done once at the start of the X session. Especially
> for xmodmap, there's this snippet in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80x11xmodmap:

This file is a non-Debian file. It is not needed for the simple task at
hand. I doubt it would ever be needed.

> =============
> # 2015-01-10 tomas: why did they steal my xmodmap?
> # Snarfed from <http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=77008>
>
> # This file is sourced by Xsession(5), not executed.
>
> SYSMODMAP="/etc/X11/Xmodmap"
> USRMODMAP="$HOME/.Xmodmap"
>
> if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
>     if [ -f "$SYSMODMAP" ]; then
>         xmodmap "$SYSMODMAP"
>     fi
>
>     if [ -f "$USRMODMAP" ]; then
>         xmodmap "$USRMODMAP"
>     fi
> fi
> =============
>
> (seems I stubled upon that some moons ago and was somewhat upset. I forgot
> since ;-)
>
> Note that the syntax of the files "loaded" by xmodmap is slightly different to
> what you'd have to write when issuing individual xmodmap commands.
>
> This is just one way to achieve that. You might as well hard-wire the commands
> into your /etc/X11/Xsession

There is rarely any need to alter any of the scripts in Xsession.d or
add to the number there. Everything a user wants to do can be done in
$HOME. Debian's X configuration is very flexible.

bri...@aracnet.com has give a good account of how to use a ~/.xsession.
Unfortunately, it is probably not suitable to put xmodmap commands (or
any other commands) in it without starting a window manager also.

The solution is to put the commands Thomas Schmit has provided in a
created ~/.xsessionrc. A two-minute (not two-year) job. :)

> Again, your desktop environment might provide other mechanisms for doing
> things
> "at start of the X session" -- or perhaps other mechanisms to change the key
> mappings.

All DMs read the files in /etc/X11/Xsession and, by extension. the user
provided ones. But a user might feel more comfortable using the DE
facilities.