On 08/17/2015 10:10 PM, bri...@aracnet.com wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:25:24 +0200
Arno Schuring <aelschur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 13:37:37 -0700
From: bri...@aracnet.com

[..snip list of PA inadequacies..]

so soliciting opinions on whether or not getting rid of pulse audio is a good
idea.

It's a good thing you're asking for opinions, because that's what
you're gonna get. A lot of it, probably ;)

uh. honestly. i had no idea this was a hot-button.

I was just wondering if I _really_ needed it.

My problem is simple.  When the laptop comes up from suspend, it selects the
laptop speakers instead of the speakers which i have very specifically set up
as default in default.pa.

i find it very difficult to figure out how to do anything in pulse audio.

Pulse generally is a pussycat. It sits on top of alsa and if alsa is broken, pulse is broken. Simple ...usually. So, when trouble shooting pulse problems fire up alsamixer first. You'll usually find something with the volume turned way down or muted. Then make sure you have pavucontrol installed. You use that to configure pulse, set volume levels and select in/outputs. Works for me and should for you too ...until the word "laptop" was used.

There is no telling how any specific laptop will work with alsa/pulse. I have an ASUS laptop and loathe it. Truth be known, I'd like to take a hammer to the POS. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html