Quoting Thomas Schmitt (scdbac...@gmx.net):

> > But worse, the keyboard has gone american:
>
> Everybody should have a QWERTY and only use 7-bit ASCII.
> This would promote international understanding, world peace,
> and C programming.

:)

> > The output from   dumpkeys -f   is very different in the two
> > keycode 1 = Escape Escape VoidSymbol VoidSymbol VoidSymbol Meta_Escape
> > keycode 1 = Escape Escape Escape Escape Escape Escape Escape Escape
>
> You must have deeply confused it.
> Where did you get the syntax proposal of
>   ctrlr keycode 106 = 'Hello'

Yes, that's incorrect. I have discovered that any errors in
/etc/console-setup/remap.inc are severely punished with the
bizarre behaviour. I can only assume that the perl script
ckbcomp does not validate its input, and quite possibly has
some mistakes.

If the 'errors' are slight, then it does nothing, leaving
dumpkeys -f   unchanged. So, lines like these work:

ctrll keycode 105 = F55
Control keycode 105 = F55
control keycode 105 = F55

but any one of these silently fails:

Ctrll keycode 105 = F55
Ctrlr keycode 105 = F55
ctrlr keycode 105 = F55

which is ridiculous.

> > >   udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=input --action=change
> > No. I reboot,
> Ouch uptime.

Once I got *something* to change, I found it was unnecessary to reboot
all the time. I circulate the F55 numbers each time to ascertain
whether anything changes or not.

Rebooting gives you a few minutes break (to walk to another computer!)
except when I got a recurrence of my binfmt_misc problem: I now have
binfmt_misc in /etc/modules to make sure it gets loaded. This is the
first time since adding the line that
[ Cylon eye ] A start job is running for Enable support for additional
executable binary formats (9min 52s / no limit)
appeared and, as usual, I could ssh into the box, but ls -lR /proc/sys/fs
hangs and even   halt -f   does nothing (after saying 'Halting.').
I do now remember to umount /home before I hard reset.

Cheers,
David.