On 08/23/2015 12:44 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le sextidi 6 fructidor, an CCXXIII, Anthony Maples a écrit :
>> In that case, you probably need the dmix plugin.  I have it setup on
my
>> laptop like this in /etc/asound.conf:
>
> No, no, no! Why do people not leave the default config alone?!?
>
> The default config already has all the plugins anyone needs for normal
 use,
> including dmix for sharing between applications and plug to convert an
> input format to a format supported by the hardware.
>
> Only ever write a .asoundrc file if you REALLY know what you are doing
.

> For reference, your configuration breaks recording, you can observe th
at
> with:
>
> arecord /tmp/dummy.wav
>
> Regards,

Then how do you specify the default card?  This laptop has a HDMI port
as well as the standard internal audio and headphone jack.  If I'm
understanding this correctly, it views them as two separate sound cards:

[anthony@newerLaptop ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3223 Analog [ALC3223 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
[anthony@newerLaptop ~]$

With no /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc, it doesn't play anything out of
the internal speakers or the headphone jack, and alsamixer shows the
HDMI out as the default audio device.  I've never had a chance to test
this, but I'd bet that when I try to play something it goes out the HDMI
audio, which I don't use 99% of the time.  Since I very rarely use my
microphone, I've never noticed if it worked or not, though your test
proved that it didn't work.

So what would your solution be?