Hi,

David Wright wrote:
> I'll be demanding a pass-through mode (no .iso) like cpio has,
> for merging archives and the like :)

google ...
  http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/manual/cpio.html#Copy_002dpass-mode

There are more simple ways to achieve this, but:

  xorriso -osirrox on -overwrite off \
          -outdev stdio:/dev/null \
          -map /u/test/cdrskin-1.3.2 /foo \
          -extract /foo /u/test/copy_of_cdrskin-1.3.2 \
          -rollback_end

  diff -r /u/test/cdrskin-1.3.2 /u/test/copy_of_cdrskin-1.3.2

  rm -r /u/test/copy_of_cdrskin-1.3.2

This gesture is uneconomic because libisofs will build a
complete directory tree of /foo in memory before xorriso
can extract the not-yet-committed files from disk to disk.

The best use case for such pack-unpack combinations is
out of reach for xorriso, anyway, because ISO 9660 needs
random access. Thus an ISO image cannot always be read
from a pipe. So xorriso cannot transmit over the net to
another xorriso which would unpack on the fly.

bsdtar does read from pipe and thus happily fails when
confronted with a multi-session ISO, where directories
are stored after older file content.
Since we have a single session ISO here, it could serve
as receiver and unpacker for a xorriso generated ISO.

But we still have to invent a good use case for this.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas