Quoting Joe Pfeiffer (pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu):
> David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Quoting Joe Pfeiffer (pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu):
>
> >> Looks interesting -- I've been using Terminus for quite a while -- it's
> >> another fixed-width programmer-friendly font, Comparing it with
> >> Anonymous Pro, it seems a bit narrows and doesn't seem to have as much
>                                  ^^^^^^^narrower
> >> variation in apparent weight (Anonymous Pro's W is so much darker than
> >> the other characters on a line I'm looking at that it looks like it's in
> >> Bold!).
> >
> > So you've installed it? Are you using it in a VC or an xterm?
> >
> > I'm not sure how you would use it: the package contains four TTF files
> > and that's it.
>
> I appear to have installed at some point; I tend to just install the
> fonts that come up in the repository without thinking about it.
>
> I tried it in an xterm (more specifically, xfce4-terminal).  I just
> went to the preference's editor, saw that it was one of the font
> options, and switched to it.  All the text in all my terminal windows
> was suddenly in Anonymous Pro.

Well, it's defeated me. Doing anything with fonts is always
frustrating. For years I used Computer Modern, then Palatino because,
with respect, it looked less like a Knuth textbook. IIRC it was
texlive which meant I had to find out that Palatino is now "TeX Gyre
Pagella", whatever that means.

I use   dpkg-reconfigure console-setup   to set a console font. You
don't get much choice. I suppose it's just what's in
/usr/share/consolefonts/ though I never get offered unifont even
though I have /usr/share/consolefonts/Unifont-APL8x16.psf.gz from
package psf-unifont which is PSF (console) version of GNU Unifont
with APL support.

So I stick to Terminus on the console. I'll make the observation that
using   dpkg-reconfigure console-setup    on a real VC while X is
running is a no-no. You really have to exit X altogether.

Moving on to X, well on the whole I just install a load of fonts on
the basis that applications will find and use them. But how you find
out what a font is, and then change it, that's beyond me.

In Xterm, I'm fairly happy just so long as I can find a string like
-jmk-Neep-Medium-R-Normal--20-180-75-75-C-100-ISO10646-1 or 8x13
associated with the font. But I can't try Anonymous Pro because
xlsfonts shows no such string.

But take, for example, the font that iceweasel uses to display the
address of a link when you hover over it. It's very small and spindly,
and makes the characters "rn" look exactly like "m". I often have to
fire up xzoom to take a closer look.

Anyway, I looked at https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts after "installing"
ttf-anonymous-pro. I can see the four files with fc-list, and I ran
fc-cache -fv   for luck.

I ran
$ dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config
and
$ dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig
[sic] but had to do so as root, obviously. I haven't a clue what
the prompts are talking about.

I find sections like:

Font Formats
ttf, otf, bdf, pfb, fnt, woff

totally unenlightening.

The https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts/FAQ appears to be a historical
document.

https://wiki.debian.org/TrueType says everything will just happen
automatically without actually saying *what* happens automatically.

So I'd be very interested to know, having installed ttf-anonymous-pro,
how to actually use it.

Sorry to ramble but, because I can't grasp any pattern to linux fonts,
I can't organise my thoughts/findings/intentions in any logical order.
The mess is contagious.

Cheers,
David.