Please don't top post on the debian-users mailing list

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 07:33:52PM +0300, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey Chris,
>
> It doesn't matter if some would like them to just vanish.
> They do commit to the client but the scale of things might not be understood
> by all in the same level\manner.
> MS doesn't and cannot commit to software maintenance in certain levels.
> I do not know how much money they have and indeed if they are committed to
> PROFIT only with nothing else it would make them something else then what
> they are.

I do know that:

1) They have (had?) a considerable amount of money put aside for
lawsuits against their business practices and their borg like behaviour
to small business where they liked a product of theirs.

2) A story I heard when Windows 95 was launched was they asked REM if
they could use their song 'Man On The Moon' but REM told them to shove
it in no uncertain terms, so they asked The Rolling Stones if they could
use their song "Start Me Up" and they said sure, for some exhorbitant
price, and apparently Microsoft didn't batter an eye, and just said
sure.

although this link:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2220097/data-center/what-microsoft-paid-the-stones-to-help-launch-windows-95.html

seems to suggest it was way less than the amount I heard it was.

There was also some web pages written by an (ex?) employee of MS on why
he hated MS, (unfortunately, they seemed to buried in the huge number of
search results.) which were very interesting, there was about 9 pages
altogether, each one on a specific area. One in particular was about the
shoddy code. I wish I still had the link. :(

But the main thing I dislike about the MS OS, is the 'reverse logic'
they use in their menu selections and dialog boxes --- who knows it may
have been improved by now, but I've since moved on and have no real urge
to try it again. (once bitten twice shy, etc.)

I recently had a friend come round to use my wifi because her Windows
8.1 laptop, for some reason no longer thought that she was the owner of
it and had shut her out, she had to go through a laborious session of
sending emails and typing in codes she rec on her cell phone into boxes
on the laptop, and believe me; she was getting p***ed off fast. I
actually started to feel sorry for her when the dialog box was asking
for the six character code, but she had been only sent a four character
code. I mean how ridiculous is that? (considering she'd paid good money
for it.)

Nope, I steer clear of MS as much as possible, and just about any time
I've had to use it, I feel mentally drained and frustrated. At least if
a problem crops up in Linux, there's enough reasonable documentation
around so that you can troubleshoot your way through it without pulling
your hair out in the process.

P.S. I wonder if that is why Linux users tend to be hairy and MS users
tend to bald? :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X