On 06/10/15 19:00, Reco wrote:
>> 1) Those should work just fine, and fix the trouble somewhat:
>>
>> mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sda5
>> mdadm --add /dev/md1 /dev/sda6
>> mdadm --add /dev/md3 /dev/sda8
>> mdadm --add /dev/md4 /dev/sda9
>> mdadm --add /dev/md6 /dev/sda11
>>
>> 2) A big warning - wait for RAID rebuild to finish before rebooting.
>> Really. I mean it. Monitor the rebuild progress via /proc/mdstat.
>>
>> 3) Reboot to check that you're using correct kernel version.

Done that -- it took a while to rebuild md6. I took the opportunity to
delve into some man pages relating to this. The learning curve is steep!

mdstat now shows those partitions as [UU].

the kernel is now shown as 3.2.68-1+deb7u4 -- whoopee!
The grub menu still shows the old kernel :(

>> Which leaves us with /dev/md2 and /dev/md5.
>> These use /dev/sdb7 and /dev/sdb10, respectively.
>> Sadly, both have size 9999M, and their respective pairs (sda7 and sda10)
>> have only 4999M, so you won't be able to add them to RAID1.

Understood.

This is now becoming scary stuff. My /home, and some other bits are
backed up, but rebuilding the system would be painful.

>> Hard way:
>>
>> 1) Destroy partition table on /dev/sda ("parted rm", for example).

parted --rm /dev/sda10 ?
parted --rm /dev/sda7 ?

/dev/sdb7 is swap -- presumably it's not normal to have swap on raid?
Should I include it?

>> 2) Copy partition table from /dev/sdb to /dev/sda ("parted mkpart").
>> Ensure that both drives really have the same partition tables.

Is there any reason to use this remove/recreate method, rather than
going for parted resize?

>> 3) Add partitions from /dev/sda to respective RAIDs.

As before, presumably?
>> 4) Wait for RAID rebuild to finish. That's really important part.

Understood.

>> 5) Re-install grub to /dev/sda just in case.

How would I do that?
apt-get install --reinstall grub?

>> 6) Reboot.
>>
>> 7) Check /proc/mdstat to ensure that there are no degraded RAIDs this
>> time. Check kernel version while you're at it.
>>
>> 8) ...
>>
>> 9) Profit.
>
> PS. Almost forgot it. Applies to both cases.
>
> Update /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf after RAID rebuild.
What should I change? Is there an "update" method in mdadm?

> Update initrd after updating /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf.

I'm afraid that's beyond my expertise

Thanks for sticking with this.

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:t...@vanderhoff.org