>> $ ps auxw | grep Xorg
>> username       8566  0.0  0.3 245992 25544 tty1     Sl   15:19   0:00
>> /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -nolisten tcp :0 vt1 -keeptty -auth
>> /tmp/serverauth.Gi5TPbXzpf
>
> OK, I *think* that's the problem: Once upon a time, X was setuid root.
> So "startx" as a user used to do the right thing. In the brave new
> systemd world, X is run as a regular user and systemd-whatever (sorry,
> I'm not versed on systemd's innards) does whatever root magic is
> needed.
>
> Assuming my hunch above is right, you might try to
>
>  - start X from a display manager (this one runs as root and can inherit
>    that to the X server)
>  - afaik there is an X "setuid wrapper", but I forgot how it's called,
>    perhaps something like "xorg-legacy" or thereabouts. This should make
>    startx work again for "mortals".

That was the right thought: I installed xserver-xorg-legacy. No effect.
But then I had a closer look at /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config. This file is
from 2012 and was there before installation of xserver-xorg-legacy
(maybe from x11-common). And I had to set needs_root_rights to yes. Now
it's working. Thanks a lot.

> Or you go the systemd way.

Yes, this would have been better way but I am afraid that my init
scripts don't work anymore. I need to take some time to get into it.

Thank you again,
best Regards,
Flo.