On Saturday 31 October 2015 19:14:30 Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> >> I have also noticed that Debian installs a lot of "extra" programs by
> >> default. For example, when I installed LXDE using the latest (Debian 7)
> >> LXDE CD and, I obtained LibreOffice, Iceweasel and Deluge (among many
> >> others), none of which are part of LXDE, and of those, I only wanted
> >> Icweasel installed since the beginning.
> >>
> >> If you want to control more precisely which packages get installed, you
> >> can also install a text-only system and then add the additional packages
> >> with the package manager. It won't give the same results and isn't as
> >> flexible as Debootstrap or Multistrap, of course.
> >
> > It isn't Debian that installs all those packages.  It's the DE. All
> > anyone has to do to avoid them is not install a DE.  You are given the
> > option.
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Of course it is Debian that installs them!. (*)
>
> Note that neither of the packages I mentioned is part of LXDE. When
> using the Debian 7.2.0 LXDE CD, those packages *are bundled by Debian*
> along with LXDE in the Debian LXDE Desktop Environment task that the
> installer offers. Note that this bundling is done by Debian.

Of course.  Every Distro individualises its DE's.  I was over-succinct.  But
you do not get the same set of packages whichever DE you choose with Debian,
let alone the same set of packages if you do not choose  DE at all.

You are most unlikely to get LO, Iceweasel etc with KDE I would have thought.
One certainly didn't in the past.  I now use Trinity DE and have to install
LO, Iceweasel etc. myself because I want them.  What you get is DE dependant,
and it is all therefore very easy to avoid.

> Here "desktop environment" can mean 1 of 2 different things. Given the
> previous clarification, we can now analyze both cases and see that both
> entail the assertion (*):
>
> (1) If by "desktop environment" you mean LXDE, then no, the desktop
> environment is not installing the programs I mentioned, as you claimed;
> it is the Debian installer.
>
> (2) On the other hand, if by "desktop environment" you mean the bundle
> of software packages that Debian bundles along with LXDE that the Debian
> LXDE CD installs by default (package "task-lxde-desktop"), then indeed
> it is the "desktop environment" what installs those programs, but note
> that this "desktop environment" is a part of Debian, so it follows again
> that Debian is doing the installation.
>
> -----
>
> You said "All anyone has to do to avoid them is not install a DE. You
> are given the option.". That is right; I never claimed otherwise
> (furthermore, I alluded to this fact when I mentioned installing a
> text-only environment and then add additional packages), but your
> assertion that Debian does not install all those package does not follow
> (it is a non-sequitur).

Yes, I wasn't referring particularly to you, but to the general trend of the
thread.  Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

Lisi