> Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> > With 'noaudio' option, messages about skipped/duplicate frames do not
> > appear anymore and recorded file plays smoothlty, so appears that the
> > problem is in mixing audio and video frames. I use default container
> > (AVI). I tried to switch to Matroska and MPEG but got even more
> > problems.
> >
> > I also tried to lower video quality to make sure it's not because of
> > slowness of hard drive and it isn't (frames are still dropped).

Have you tried ffmpeg? mencoder has not been maintained for quite some time,
and unless you are using features only available in it (mostly: DVD), ffmpeg
is the recommended too nowadays?

(With x264 encoding, the thread_queue_size option will likely be necessary.
It is only available in the genuine ffmpeg.)

deloptes:
> It seems AAC is good one for x264.

There are no such relations between audio and video codec. The only
considerations are quality and compatibility with the intended player(s).

> Check the video vs audio bitrate - try with fixed bitrate

This is not relevant, frame dropping or duplicating is done before the
encoder and any rate control.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George