On 1/2/2016 5:06 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
[snip]

My blind friend with his screen reader seems to have much less trouble with
messy HTML than I (partially sighted) do.  His screen reader just reads it to
him.  I stare at the mess of "pretty" colours and fancy writing, with
blotches and swirls everywhere and don't know where to begin.

I browse with SeaMonkey 2.26.1 under WinXP. For my needs and usage pattern I
have a partial solution to similar problems:
1. I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled. I have a separate profile for visiting the very few sites for which JavaScript provides content I know I want. This does have the side affect that some sights fail silently by showing me a blank screen. On the whole those sites have other problems. Competent sites are coded to display a message such as "JavaScript must be enabled to enjoy this site." They are much more likely to get my business.
   Also,their design is generally more competently done.
2. I set my profile to ignore background images and sites choice of colors. This was prompted by sites with poor contrast of foreground text with the background. I also force underlining of all links and my choice of colors for visited and unvisited links. All other text is black on white. The only downside has been
   things like "search boxes" can be harder to spot.
3. SeaMonkey allows specifying minimum font size in pixels. Some sloppy sites are careless about absolute screen position of graphics and how text flows
   around objects.

A side question to Steve, "Is this post screen reader friendly?"