On Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 21:59, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On 21/01/16 09:41 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> What does chrome give you that chromium does not?
>
> Nothing that I know of...but I thought that staying with the Google
> product is just simpler. I've had chromium on this machine for a little
> while and it **seems** to be Chrome in plainer clothes. So I just
> might remove google-chrome and live with chromium for now. An install of
> 64-bit Debian is not in the cards for now.

One thing that chrome gives you that chromium does not is the built-in
PPAPI Adobe flash plugin, which you may or may not need or want.
But if you do want it or need it, you can install chromium plus
pepperflashplugin-nonfree.  Unfortunatley, there are no automatic updates.
You have to run "update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --status" periodically
to check for updates, followed by "update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install"
if an update is needed.

That does bring up an interesting question though.  I believe that
"update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install" works by downloading the
chrome package from google, extracting the built-in pepper flash plugin,
then installing the pepper flash plugin into chromium.  Will Google stop
updating the 32-bit version of the flash plugin contained within the
32-bit version of chrome?  I don't know the answer to that one.

Note that chromium does support html5, so the need for the flash plugin
is not as great as it once was.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinux...@fastmail.com>
 : :'  :