On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 22:41:14 +0000 Lisi Reisz <lisi.re...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So - if you want to format an existing partition properly, so the
> stuff on it actually goes, use Gparted not the partitioner in the
> Jessie installer.  Sad.

Is it possible for the d-i partitioning utility to sometimes make
mistakes when creating a new FS (I have only observed this with ext4,
if it even happened at all and was not a product of my imagination) and
somehow leave files from the old FS in the new over-riding FS if the
two are in the same partition?

Sometimes after over-writing an old ext4 partition with a new ext4
partition of the same size and location, mysterious files have appeared
in the new FS which should not exist, but existed in the previous
instance; "ghost files" if you will.