On Wednesday 27 April 2016 04:31:17 cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 12:57:08PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > > Thanks for making me think of that and the fact that over the last
> > > 10 years, the only ham its seen are its mistakes. So this question
> > > might have had the seeds of something to help. :)
> >
> > My scripts copy all new non-spam to a ham directory which is fed to
> > sa-learn every night and then the contents of both the ham and the
> > spam directories are deleted.
>
> IIRC, it seems pointless feeding your mail through a spam filter
> if you're downloading it from your ISP/email provider.

One of the two mail servers I use is an ancient qmail setup that dates
from around 1998, and spam filtering is not its strong point. So
spamassassin catches about 40 a day, and I feed about that many to
sa-learn manually.  Jim tells me that qmail's filters do stop around
20,000 a day according to its logs.  Also, of the 100 incoming ports, a
mail will time out and be bounced by the sender because the spammers
will open a port and forget to close it, so its out of incoming ports
about 50% of the day.  A whole new machine has been built, around
sendmail I think, with quite a bit more iron, but he has a vacation week
coming up and is not about to make the changeover and leave for a week.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)